He was abused? I don't believe him
Quicker than you could say "Smoke of Satan", The Auxiliary Bishop of Detroit is claiming that he was "inappropriately touched" two or three times. Two "Or" three times? That certainly isn't something I'd lose count of, but anyhow, why do I not believe Gumbleton?
1. His timing is suspicious. The Ohio House Judiciary Committee is in session concerning changing the states statute of limitations laws CIVIL (read: lawsuits... read: $$$) concerning the sexual abuse scandal. Even though, on several occasions, the Michigan Court of Appeals have upheld the current statute of limitations laws. But NOW Gumby speaks up?
2. Where he said it is suspicious. Did Gumbleton first make this shocking accusation known to Cardinal Maida, archbishop of Detroit? Nope. Did he first make this shocking accusation known at a meeting of the USCCB? Nope. Did he first make this shocking accusation known from the pulpit? Nope. He made this shocking accusation known to the world while testifying to the Ohio House Judiciary Committee. To THEM he speaks up?
3. How he went about it is suspicious. Bishop Gumbleton's immediate senior, Cardinal Maida, was totally blindsided on this. At a minimum, Gumbleton showed extremely poor judgment in by-passing the Cardinal. At a maximum, he was disloyal to the point of treacherous. He keeps his boss out of the loop while he went before a governmental committee?
4. The specifics of the changing of the statute of limitations law are suspicious. Why is it that Gumby is only after CIVIL lawsuits to be extended? Why not the CRIMINAL as well? Granted, some of the accused priests are dead, but I have a funny feeling that they're a very small minority. Gumby wants the Church to be bankrupted, but none of the guilty go to jail?
5. Lastly, this whole episode simply doesn't pass the smell test. When all things are considered, this whole thing stinks. Bishop Gumbleton has a well established track record of attacking everything Catholic. I'm of the opinion that, yet again, he is doing what he can to destroy The Catholic Church from within.
But hey, didn't Our Lady of Akita already tell us this would happen?