The Bar of CatholicismA Thousand Small Chops Cuts Down The Greatest Tree
The further de-divinitization of Christ
Few argue that upwards of 70% of practicing Catholics in America look upon The Eucharist as merely a "symbolic reminder" of Jesus. Is it any wonder? The purposeful dumbing-down of Catholics has been happening for decades now.
It wasn't with a flash of lighting that all of a sudden most Catholics in America abandoned almost 2,000 years of Church teaching. No, nothing that grandiose.
It was the small things... the subtle things. The proverbial "bar" has been lowered so far, that it's now indistinguishable from a sewer pipe.
Let's do a rough chronology, shall we?
1. First came Holy Communion received standing. Why kneel? The Eucharist is just Christ physically present. Do big deal.
2. Eucharistic Ministers. One of the greatest moves to destroy the Sacramental Priesthood if there ever was one.
3. Then came the Tabernacle no longer centered in our churches. Uh-oh... I thought Catholicism was a "Christ Centered Church". Too bad Jesus isn't actually centered in most of our churches, huh? Are we seeing a pattern yet?
4. Soon followed by Holy Communion received standing and now with the added degradation of in the hand. Hey, why present yourself to Jesus on your knees in reverence. A handshake will suffice. If that really is Jesus.
5. Bowing instead of genuflecting to the Tabernacle. Hey, why genuflect to a symbol?
6. Kneeling during the Consecration is a mortal sin. Why interrupt the play with people kneeling?
And now comes the latest nail in the coffin of Catholicism... whenever referring to Jesus in the third person (grammatically), the fad is to no longer capitalize the first letter. You know, Jesus is no longer spelled out as He.... it's he instead.
I remember always being taught that whenever we refer to The Blessed Trinity (or any Divine Personage of such) in the 3d person, to always capitalize the first letter. Don't you?
I know that by itself, it sure seems a small thing to many. But to me, this is just another case of instead of us rising up to Jesus, the powers to be are dragging Him down to us.